Internships: Credit or Non-Credit?
Whether or not an internship is paid or unpaid, with or without credit, it offers you a wonderful learning experience.
Non-credit internships are the majority of internships in which Ole Miss Business students pursue. There are no specific academic requirements or qualifications that you must meet to accept an internship. You and the employer determine the job responsibilities and time commitment.
Academic Credit: You may enroll in the BUS 300 internship class to receive academic credit. Please speak with your academic advisor for more details.
How do Ole Miss Business Students find internships?
- College Central Network is the Ole Miss Business School’s job and internship database and is
utilized to post jobs, internships, and other career related information for students pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree. Click on “My School’s Jobs” to search for internships posted specifically for the business school.
- Handshake is the University of Mississippi’s online job and internship database and it is available to all Ole Miss students and alumni. Click “Jobs” on the top then select “Internship” under “Job Type” on the right. Select additional filters to narrow down search.
• Vault (Click “Career Center”→Resources). Resource for in-depth intelligence on top jobs and internships.
• Going Global (Click “Career Center”→Resources). Resource for international jobs and internships.
• Student Jobs and Internships: – Filter “Experience Level” to “Internships” to view over 50,000 internships.
• Network with Ole Miss Alumni: (Search bar→ University of Mississippi→See Alumni) – Network with
alumni based off Geographic Location, Industry, and Company.
- Websites: indeed.com, Internships.com, internqueen.com, idealist.org, ziprecruiter.com,
teamworkonline.com, and glassdoor.com are just a few websites that compile internship postings.
- Federal Government: usajobs.gov, cia.gov, fbi.gov, nsa.gov, gogovernment.org
- Disney: www.DisneyCollegeProgram.com; www.DisneyInterns.com
- Campus and Networking Resources:
• Part-Time Job and Internship Fair (School of Business): (College Central Network→Events)
• Career Fairs and other Career Events (University): (Handshake→Events)
• http://www.outreach.olemiss.edu/internships/: Washington/New York/Atlanta Internship Experience
• Campus Networking Events (University, Career Center, Ole Miss Alumni Association, School of
- Internships Abroad Program Type “Internship Abroad”
Academic Credit Internships
The School of Business offers a 3 credit hour course – BUS 300 – for internships (Z-grade = pass/fail). You can receive BUS 300 credit for an internship if you:
- Work at the internship at least 180 hours during the semester
- Have Junior or Senior standing (If you are not yet a Junior, your application will be considered if you send a formal letter detailing how your prior work experiences – duties, responsibilities, and skills – and specific courses have prepared you for this internship to firstname.lastname@example.org in addition to completing the College Central Network for Ole Miss Business application)
- Are in good academic standing during the semester of the internship
- Will not be taking more than 9 credit hours of coursework over and above the 3 credit hours for BUS 300 during the fall/spring semester (maximum 12 hours) or 6 credit hours in the summer (maximum 9 hours)
- Apply to register for the BUS 300 course prior to starting your internship and pay the tuition for this course. If you are interested in applying for BUS 300 course credit and meet the