[DRAFT] Presenting Your References
During the job and internship application process, you will typically be asked to submit the names and contact information of three references. Create a separate page using the same header as your resume and list the following for each reference: name, title, employer, work address, phone number and e-mail address. Here are a few key points to remember when choosing references:
- Try to stick with professional or academic references (faculty, administrators, advisors, current/former employers, coworkers, or team members) and only use personal references as a last resort.
- Choose a person who will be able to share informed and positive comments about your character, work ethic, and potential.
- Always ask permission before listing someone as a reference. Do so formally via e-mail and include your resume even if you discussed it in person.
- Always remember to send a thank you note to your references and to keep them updated during the job search.
- Stay in touch! You never know when you might need their assistance again in the future.
Sample Reference Page